Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Of Mice and Men

Twas the season of Advent and all through the house, not a creature was stirring except for that mouse.

Expectant joy. Readiness. Anticipation. Eagerness. These are all words used to describe the church as she celebrates Advent - as she awaits the return of the King. They also happen to be words that describe one particularly valiant mouse, Reepicheep. Would that we all looked to Advent as Reepicheep yearned for Aslan's country. When it comes to Advent, let us rejoice, hope and expect Christ's coming. For he is coming soon. Ignore the Christmas celebrations of men. We are children of the day. In Advent the church is as valiant as a mouse, awaiting the dawn of the Morning Star and the coming of Christ and his country.

"My own plans are made. While I can, I sail east in the Dawn Treader. When she fails me, I paddle east in my coracle. When she sinks, I shall swim east with my four paws. And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise and Peepicheek will be head of the talking mice in Narnia."

"Hear, hear," said a sailor, "I'll say the same, barring the bit about the coracle, which wouldn't bear me." He added in a lower voice, "I'm not going to be out done by a mouse."

A blessed, merry and mousy Advent to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment