Athanatos Christian Ministry’s Third Annual
Online Apologetics Conference
Using Story to Defend, Promote, Explain, and Transmit the Faith
President of the American Chesterton Society
Dr. Gene Edward Veith | Dave Sterrett | Paul Hughes | Dr. Holly Ordway | Anthony Horvath | Brian Auten | Stephen Bedard | Glenn Jones | James D. Agresti | Mikel Del Rosario | Mark Riser | Tom Gilson | Joseph Keysor | Bruce Hennigan, M.D. | Dr. Ryan MacPherson | Paul Nowak
An apologetics conference held… entirely online! (Click here to see what a session is like)
April 19th, 20th, and 21st, 2012.
Sign up for our mailing list to receive updates!
ALL SESSIONS RECORDED – Make up sessions you missed at your convenience. All conference registrants receive free access to these archives. Information on purchasing archive access coming soon!2012 Conference Goals:
- Build off of visions of ACM’s previous conferences, encouraging Christians to defend the faith through the arts.
- Call attention to the power of Story and Narrative in the formation of world views.
- Argue that the Gospel Story is superior to all of them, if only because it is the Truth.
- Encourage Christians to use video, movies, literature, and music to mount a defense of Christianity in general and the Biblical model for the family in particular.
- Connect Christian artists with each other and with those who can help propel them to success.
- Remind Christians that they each have a responsibility to be ready to give a defense in their own lives.
- Raise awareness of the fact that competing ‘stories’ are promoting beliefs and values that must be critically analyzed, not just mindlessly absorbed.
Conference FrameworkACM’s 2012 conference will be a little different than previous years. The main part of the conference (being held on the 20th and 21st), the plenaries, will present a number of short stories that have some bearing on the Christian worldview. Each presenter will take one of those stories, digest it, and apply it to contemporary issues in apologetics. The stories and presenters will be announced in due time.
On the 19th, credible apologists will be invited to present on the topic of their choice (subject to ACM approval). Up to 20 presenters are expected, and the topics will vary. Note: all presentations on the 19th will be open to the public! Only the sessions on the 20th and 21st require paid registration.
Friday-Saturday (Apr. 20-21st, paid registrants only)
- Dale Ahlquist, President of the American Chesterton Society. “Finding the Right Word: Chesterton on the Writer’s Art.”
- Dr. Gene Edward Veith, Author, “Christianity and Comedy”
- Dave Sterrett, Author and Apologist, Spokesperson for “I am Second“, “Using Story for Christ: Reflections on ‘I am Second.’”
- Paul Hughes, Author and Apologist, “Tim Gautreaux and the Apologetics of Real Life” and “5 by Flannery [O'Connor].”
- Dr. Holly Ordway, “Finding God in Fairy Tales” (Cinderella and Hansel and Gretel) and “The Importance of Excellence in Christian Fiction: A Lesson from CS Lewis”
- Jason Jones, MovietoMovement, producer of movie Bella, “Topic TBA”
- Anthony Horvath, Athanatos Christian Ministries, “An Analysis of ‘The Birthmark’ by Nathaniel Hawthorne” and “How 3 Stories Got Under the Skin of PZ Myers and the New Atheists.”
- Bruce Hennigan, M.D., author. “Speculative Fiction and Apologetics.”
- Paul Nowak, author. “It’s the Fight that Matters” [based on Chuck Palahniuk's original short story "Fight Club" (later a novel and movie by the same title)].
Guest Lectures (Thursday, Apr. 19th – Free Access)
- Brian Auten, Apologetics315, “Avoiding Apologetics Pitfalls”
- Glenn Jones, apologist. “Reading Genesis as History: Implications for Science and the Age of the Universe.”
- James D. Agresti, author of Rational Conclusions. “Cosmology, the science of the origin and development of the universe.”
- Stephen Bedard, author and apologist, “Reading the New Testament in Context.”
- Mikel Del Rosario, apologist, “Defending the Resurrection in Everyday Conversations.”
- Mark Riser, apologist. “Why I Am An Old-Earth Creationist: A Personal Journey”
- Tom Gilson, apologist. “How Arrogant Are We, Anyway?’
- Joseph Keysor, author. “Hitler, the Bible, and the Holocaust.”
- Bruce Hennigan, M.D., author. ” CSI: Golgotha”
- Dr. Ryan MacPherson, author. “The Culture of Life: The Redemptive Power of Conversion Narratives”