Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Funeral Sermon for Shirley Grober: "Be Not Dismayed"


 
+ In Memoriam – Shirley Grober - August 13, 2014 +
Isaiah 41:8-10; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; John 14:1-7
 
In the Name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
But you, Israel, my servant,
    Jacob, whom I have chosen,
    the offspring of Abraham, my friend;
you whom I took from the ends of the earth,
    and called from its farthest corners,
saying to you, “You are my servant,
    I have chosen you and not cast you off”;
fear not, for I am with you;
    be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Though these words were spoken by the prophet Isaiah almost 3000 years ago he could just as well have said them today. That’s one of the marks of a good prophet: he declares God’s Word for all people in all seasons, people like you and I today, who are in need of consolation and strength in God’s promises. God’s word of comfort is for you: Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
Shirley knew these words well. This was her confirmation verse:
fear not, for I am with you;
    be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
These words strengthened her faith not only on her confirmation day, but throughout her life, especially these past weeks and months battling with cancer and chemo and doctors’ visits. “I say this verse every day” she told me. And in her last hours, when it looked to all earthly senses that her strength was gone, God spoke his promise, strengthening her faith even in the face of death.
Yes, Death is an ugly enemy; it causes us fear and anxiety; we grieve and weep because of it.
But there are a few other things you should know about Death. Death is not final. Death does not win. Death is weak. Death is dead. Death could not hold Jesus for three days, and neither will it hold Shirley, or you, or me forever.
For the same Lord who promised Isaiah and Israel that he would be with them and uphold them with his righteous right hand is the same Lord who laid bare his righteous right hand on the cross for Shirley, for you, and for life of the world. Jesus is also the same Lord who showed his righteous right hand to his disciples after his resurrection: Do not be afraid; it is I. Look and see the scars. Jesus was upheld on the cross so that you would be upheld by his righteous right hand in his resurrection.
That is why Paul writes, we do not grieve as others do who have no hope.  For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.
This is no abstract hope. Our hope is a person. Our hope is in the God who took on our human flesh and blood: Jesus born for you. Jesus’ life for you. Jesus Crucified for you. Jesus risen for you. Jesus ascended and reigning in heaven for you. Jesus who will come again and bring resurrection to Shirley and to you. Jesus who will breathe the breath of eternal life into our lifeless bodies.
Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
Shirley clung to these words in death and in life. This is why Israel’s name of “servant” is also a fitting one for Shirley. Whether she was at home or work, church or school, behind the desk at church or assisting children with special needs, Shirley was synonymous with servant.
She learned about service from Suffering Servant Jesus who came not to be served but to serve and give his life as a ransom for Shirley, and for you, and for all.
This is the kind of loving, self-giving service God gave Shirley at her Baptism: “I am your God. You are mine. I have called you by name and washed your sins away. You are holy. And by water and Word I declare that, “You, Shirley, are my servant whom I have chosen; you whom I took from the farthest ends of the earth; “You are my servant, I have chosen you and not cast you off”.
But Shirley is not alone in that promise. In fact, she’s not alone at all. She is with Jesus. And you are there too. In Baptism we are united to Christ in life and death – just as Shirley is. That’s one of the great joys of Christ’s death and resurrection for us: you are never alone. Jesus is with you today, and every day as we wait the resurrection of the dead and the life everlasting. We live and die as Shirley did, at rest in God’s promise:
fear not, for I am with you;
    be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
 
In the Name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment